The goal of the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program is to develop Africa’s next generation of leaders. The program allows students whose talent and promise exceed their financial resources to complete their education.
In a new partnership between the United States International University-Africa (USIU-Africa) and the Mastercard Foundation, USIU-Africa would be offering several scholarships to undergraduate students in select fields of study. This initiative will offer academically talented youth from Africa facing financial, gender, displacement, or disability constraints an opportunity to access world-class university education.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at USIU-Africa will provide full-cost scholarships to young Africans who are first-time undergraduate degree-seeking applicants. At the completion of their studies, scholars will be required to lead changes in their communities and contribute to meaningful transformation across the continent, having been equipped with internationally recognized and locally applicable qualifications.
28th February 2022.
All African Countries.
Scholarship Study Location
USIU-Africa Campus, Kenya.
Eligibility & Selection Criteria
To be eligible for the scholarship, applicants must be in one of the following categories:
- Youth not exceeding 29 years old in the following categories qualify:
- Young women
- Young men
- Refugees and displaced youth
- Youth with disabilities
- Scholars must demonstrate the following qualities:
- Academic talent: They must value learning and have a personal motivation to complete their education. Must meet the university admissions requirement as per the Kenya Commission for University Education or its equivalent.
- Commitment to giving back: Applicants should demonstrate a commitment to improving their communities through previous and/or past engagements with community outreach activities.
- Leadership potential: Scholars must show commitment to becoming change makers, role models, and mentors who embrace ethical leadership.
- Must be interested in, and meet USIU-Africa’s admissions criteria and academic qualifications to undertake, any of the approved 11 undergraduate degree programs for the Scholars Program at USIU-Africa as follows:
- School of Science and Technology (SST) – Bachelor of Science in Applied Computer Technology, Bachelor of Science in Information Systems and Technology;
- School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (SPHS) – Bachelor of Pharmacy, Bachelor of Epidemiology and Biostatistics;
- School of Communication, Cinematic and Creative Arts (SCCCA) – Bachelor of Arts in Animation, Bachelor of Arts in Film Production and Directing;
- Chandaria School of Business (CSOB) – Bachelor of Science in Finance, Bachelor of Science in International Business Administration, and Bachelor of Science in Accounting;
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences (SHSS) – Bachelor of Arts in International Relations and Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
Number of Scholarships
Value of Scholarship
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars at USIU-Africa will receive holistic support which includes:
- Tuition and functional fees;
- Laptops, books and other learning materials;
- Reasonable accommodation and meals;
- Medical insurance;
- Transport to and from home;
- Access to leadership training;
- Access to entrepreneurial training;
- Psycho-social support, career counselling and mentorship;
- Disability needs will be reasonably catered for.
- Interested applicants can download the application form from here or pick the forms from the Admissions Office, located in the Main Administration building at USIU-Africa at no cost.
- Submit the completed application form by email ensuring that the scanned copy of the scholarship application form and all the required documents are scanned in PDF format and clearly named while saving, with your name as the email subject to: [email protected] or drop your application at the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Office located on the 2nd Floor, Old School of Humanities and Social Sciences Building at USIU-Africa, or post your application to:
Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program,
United States International University – Africa,
P. O. Box 14634 – 00800, Nairobi – Kenya
APPLICANTS ARE ADVISED TO SEND ONLY ONE COMPLETE APPLICATION. DUPLICATE OR MULTIPLE APPLICATIONS WILL BE REJECTED. PLEASE NOTE THAT CANVASSING WILL LEAD TO AUTOMATIC DISQUALIFICATION.
NOTE: Any queries can be directed through e-mail at [email protected] or phone +254730116218 or in person.
[penci_button link=”https://www.usiu.ac.ke/mcf-scholars-program” icon=”” icon_position=”left” size=”large”]AWARD PAGE[/penci_button] [penci_button link=”https://www.usiu.ac.ke/assets/file/8d727a9f-mastercard-foundation-scholars-progr.pdf” icon=”” icon_position=”left” size=”large”]APPLY NOW[/penci_button]