Applications for the University-Recommended Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship for International Students (2023/2024 intake) are now open.
Table of Contents
28th October 2022 (Application opens 1st October)
All Countries except Japan
Scholarship Study Location
University of Tokyo, Japan
Graduate & Postgraduate Studies
Eligibility & Selection Criteria
International students with outstanding academic records (*1) who wish to enter Japan in October 2023 as a new student (*2) to study in the Master’s or Doctoral Program at the Graduate School of Science.
- (*1) Applicants who have already graduated from their latest degree program should have a final grade point of 2.30 or higher, while current students should have a grade point of 2.30 or higher for their current courses, and both should be expected to maintain the same academic standards during the course of the scholarship program.
* Grade points shall be calculated according to a formula specified by MEXT.
Furthermore, students must meet one of the criteria given under “(7) Language Proficiency” below.
- (*2) Please refer to (11) Non-eligibility 5. to confirm your eligibility.
Number of Scholarships
The number of applicants to be nominated by the Graduate School of Science to the University of Tokyo, as well as the number to be subsequently nominated by the University of Tokyo to MEXT, shall be finalized after the application period has closed. In the last round (application for 2020 entrance) each Graduate School was allowed to nominate at most one applicant, and the University of Tokyo was allowed to nominate at most three applicants to MEXT.
Value of Scholarship
- Travelling Costs
- School Fees
For a recipient who will enrol in a Master’s Program or Doctoral Program, the scholarship will be payable for the standard period of time necessary for the recipient to complete his or her program (standard course term), starting from October 2023.
- Master’s Program = October 2023 – September 2025 (2 years)
- Doctoral Program = October 2023 – September 2026 (3 years)
(2) Extension of the Scholarship Period
Applicants must send in the required documents for MEXT Scholarship as well as complete their admission application for entering the Master’s/Doctoral Program, following the “Instruction for Graduate School Application for International Students”.