Applications are now open for the Government of India (ICCR) scholarships for undergraduate and postgraduate African students. The Government of India through the ICCR – Indian Council for Cultural Relations – is offering up to 900 scholarships for African students to pursue undergraduate, postgraduate and higher course programmes at Institutions/Universities in India.
At the inaugural plenary of the India – Africa Forum Summit held in New Delhi in April 2008, the Honourable Prime Minister of India announced the Government of India’s initiative to enhance the academic opportunities for students of African countries in India by increasing the number of scholarships for them to pursue undergraduate, postgraduate and higher courses.
NOTE: The ICCR – Indian Council for Cultural Relations – implements this scheme on behalf of the Ministry of External Affairs.
Table of Contents
30th April 2022.
Under this Scheme, the Council offers 900 scholarships to the following African countries:
Algeria, Angola, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Cape Verde, Chad, Cote d’Ivoire, Comoros, Congo (Republic of), Djibouti, Democratic Republic of Congo, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea (concurrent from Nairobi), Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea, Kenya, Libya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Mali, Malawi, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, South Africa, South Sudan (Republic of), Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sao Tome & Principe, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Scholarship Study Location
Participating Universities in India.
Undergraduate, Postgraduate Studies.
Eligibility & Selection Criteria
- Students applying for doctoral/ post-doctoral courses should include a synopsis of the proposed area of research.
- If possible, students wishing to study performing arts should enclose video/ audio cassettes of their recorded performances.
- Candidates must have adequate knowledge of English.
- ICCR will not entertain applications that are sent to ICCR directly by the students which are sent by local Embassies/High Commissions in New Delhi.
- Priority will be given to students who have never studied in India before.
- No application will be accepted for admission to courses in MBBS/MD or Dentistry/Nursing.
- Candidates may note that Indian universities/educational institutions are autonomous and independent and hence have their own eligibility criteria which have to be fulfilled. Please also note that acceptance of the application by the University is also not a guarantee of admission. A scholarship is awarded only when admission is confirmed by ICCR.
- Students must carry a proper visa. Students should ensure they get the correct visa from the Indian Embassy/High Commission. Government of India guidelines stipulate that if a scholar arrives without a proper visa and his/her actual admission at the University/Institute does not materialize, he/she will be deported to his/her country.
- Before departing for India the scholars should seek a full briefing from the Indian Diplomatic Mission in their country about living conditions in India/the details of scholarship/the type and duration of the course to which they are admitted. Scholars should inform the Indian Embassy/High Commission of their travel schedule well in advance so that ICCR can make the reception and other arrangements for them.
- Scholars are advised to bring some money with them to meet incidental expenditures on arrival in India.
- The scholars who are awarded scholarships should bring with them all documents relating to their qualifications in original for verification by the respective college/university at the time of admission
Number of Scholarships
Value of Scholarship
(Figure is in Indian currency)
- Living allowance (Stipend) (Per Month)
- Undergraduate -5,500 , Postgraduate-6,000 M.Phil / Ph.D 7,000, Post-doctoral Fellow-7,500
- -House Rent Allowance (Per Month)
- In Grade 1 cities-5,000 and In other cities-4,500
- -Contingent Grant (per annum)
- Undergraduate-5,000, Postgraduate-7,000, M/Phil / Ph.D and M.Tech./ME-12,500, Postdoctoral studies-15,500, Tuition Fee/Other Compulsory Fee-As per actual (excluding refundable amount) –Thesis and Dissertation Expenses (Once in entire duration of course)
- D Scholar-10,000 and for BBA/BCA/MBA/MCA/M.Tech and other courses required submission of Project-7.000
- -Medical Benefits
- Under the scheme, scholars are expected to seek treatment only at medical centres or dispensaries attached to universities / Institutes where they enrolled or in the nearest Government hospital (Bill are settled as admissible according to AMA/CGHS norms)
For the entire study period.
- Please read the instructions before filling out the application form.
- Please also read the financial terms and conditions.
- Detailed guidelines on the process of applying for ICCR Scholarships online on the A2A Portal and procedure and norms governing the same are given on the application page.
- Students must read instructions and apply through the same website and no hard copy of the application form is required at the Mission.