The Scholarship Programme for Christian Young People (SCYP) was founded in 2017 by the Government of Hungary.
The Scholarship Programme for Christian Young People is managed by the State Secretariat for the Aid of Persecuted Christians and for the Hungary Helps Program. The Hungary Helps Agency is in charge of coordinating the Scholarship Programme since August 2020.
The core mission of the Scholarship Programme for Christian Young People is to provide the possibility of studying in Hungary for young Christian students living in crisis regions of the world and/or being threatened in their country because of their faith.
After completing their studies, the scholarship holders will return to help their home community with their gained knowledge, and they will participate in the reconstruction of war-destroyed countries and contribute to the improvement of social situation and preservation of the culture of Christian communities.
Table of Contents
31st January 2022 (23:59 Central European Time).
The Lebanese Republic, The Republic of Iraq, State of Israel, Palestine, Islamic Republic of Pakistan, Syrian Arab, Republic, Republic of Kenya, Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, Republic of Armenia and Nigeria.
Scholarship Study Location
Participating Hungarian Institutions in Hungary.
Undergraduate & Graduate Studies.
Eligibility & Selection Criteria:
The Hungary Scholarship Program for Christian Young People is based on the cooperation between the Ministry of Human Capacities of Hungary and churches, pursuing humanitarian activities in crisis regions.
- The applicants must not have Hungarian citizenship.
- Applicants must be practising the Christian faith.
- Local Churches are to verify and prove that the applicant belongs to their religious community. Only those applications can be awarded a scholarship, which also possesses the recommendation from the local Church along with the approval of the Deputy State Secretariat for the Aid of Persecuted Christians.
- Scholarship holders must possess the relevant language and education certificates, and degrees requested by the host university of the selected degree programme.
- The scholarship holders commit themselves in the scholarship agreement that after the scholarship agreement ends they return to their home countries if the local security and political conditions allow it so.
- Scholarships are for young applicants who are older than 18 years of age by the time their education starts
- An individual may win the scholarship only one time at a study level.
Number of Scholarships
Several, not specified.
Value of Scholarship
- Tuition-free education – exemption from the payment of tuition fee
- Monthly stipend – bachelor, master and one-tier master level: monthly amount of HUF 119 000 (cca. EUR 380) contribution to the living expenses in Hungary, for 12 months a year, until the completion of studies
- Accommodation – dormitory place or a contribution of HUF 40 000 to accommodation costs for the whole duration of the scholarship period
- Reimbursement of travel costs – HUF 200 000 /year (cca. EUR 645)
- Medical insurance – health care services according to the relevant Hungarian legislation (Act No. 80 of 1997, national health insurance card) and supplementary medical insurance for up to HUF 65 000 (cca. EUR 205) a year/person
For the entire programme duration.
The applicants must fill out and save all requested information on the online application form in the English language and also present all relevant documents.