Approximately 1,500 Heinrich Böll Foundation International Scholarships are available for Undergraduates, Graduates, and PhD Students to study at Universities in Germany.
Table of Contents
1st March 2022
- 1st September 2022
Scholarship Study Location
Universities, Universities of Applied Sciences, or Universities of the Arts in Germany
Undergraduate, Masters and PhD Studies
Eligibility & Selection Criteria
The following general requirements apply to international student applicants (except EU citizens) who wish to study in Germany:
- You must be enrolled at a state-recognized university or college (e.g. Fachhochschule) in Germany at the time the scholarship payments begin.
- You should provide proof that you have already graduated with an initial professional qualification. This programme mainly supports students aiming for a Master’s degree.
- You need a good knowledge of German and require you to provide proof of your proficiency. Please note that the selection workshop (interviews, group discussions) will normally be in German. Exceptions (interview in English) are, however, possible.
- Unfortunately, the current guidelines specify that the foundation cannot support foreign scholarship holders for stays abroad in third countries for more than four weeks.
- You should definitely apply for a scholarship before the start of your studies, in order to ensure long-term support and cooperation.
- The Heinrich Böll Foundation cannot award you a scholarship if you are studying for a one-year Master’s degree and were not previously supported by the foundation.
- Applications are possible before you begin your study programme or within the first three semesters.
- Applicants must provide proof that they have been accepted as doctoral students by an institution of higher education in Germany or an EU country (for doctoral scholarship).
Selection Criteria: Heinrich Böll Foundation Scholarship recipients are expected to have excellent academic records, to be socially and politically engaged, and to have an active interest in the basic values of the foundation: ecology and sustainability, democracy and human rights, self-determination and justice.
Number of Scholarships
Approximately 1,500 awards
Value of Scholarship
The value of the scholarship was not disclosed. However, the Heinrich Böll Foundation Scholarship awards full support to successful beneficiaries,
The scholarship will be offered for the duration of the undergraduate, Master or Doctoral programme.
The application form will be downloaded online and you are to fill it using a PDF filler; additional application documents will be submitted as PDF.