Birmingham has a proud heritage of removing barriers to education to enable the most academically talented students to fulfil their potential in learning and education. In keeping with this tradition, the University of Birmingham is proud to be launching the Global Masters Scholarship to attract and support the most academically talented international students from across the world to its Master’s degree programmes during the 2022/23 academic year.
The University of Birmingham is delighted to be offering a major scholarship for international students, the Global Masters Scholarship, an award of £10,000 to provide support for bright students who want to enrol in a Master’s Programme at the University of Birmingham in 2022/23.
Table of Contents
The deadline to apply for this scholarship is 30 June 2022 at 23:59 (UK time / GMT+1).
Candidates must be classed as ‘domiciled’ in one of the following countries:
- China (PRC)
- Hong Kong (SAR of PRC)
- United States of America
Scholarship Study Location
University of Birmingham, UK.
Eligibility & Selection Criteria
In order to be eligible, candidates must meet the following requirements. Candidates must:
- Have received, and accepted, an offer of admission for a taught Master’s degree at the University of Birmingham UK Campus to study in the 2022/23 academic year.
- Be classed as ‘domiciled’ in one of the eligible countries.
- Be classed by the University as an overseas fee payer for tuition fee purposes.
- Start their studies at the University in September/ October 2022 on a course delivered on-campus.
- Have paid the standard £2,000 Admissions deposit by 30 June 2022.
- Be academically exceptional and able to provide evidence for this in the scholarship application statement. Candidates should have, or be expecting to achieve, a first-class overall grade (at least 70% in the UK system) in a bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
For example, we consider a UK first-class degree to be equivalent to the following grading systems in the US, India, Nigeria and China:
- 3.5 out of 4.0 and above in the US GPA system.
- 70% in the Indian grading system
- 3.5 (out of 4.0) or 4.5 (out of 5.0) or 6.2 (out of 7.0) in the Nigerian grading system
- 85% grade awarded by a top-tier Chinese University, 90% grade awarded by a mid-tier Chinese University
Students in receipt of a full scholarship or sponsorship covering full tuition fees from an alternative internal or external source are not eligible for this scholarship. Those with other partial awards may be able to conjoin this scholarship with other scholarships.
Once the deadline has passed the scholarship applications will be collated and a longlist formed on the basis of the information provided. Selection panels will be formed comprising academic and professional services staff across the five colleges of the University, which will be tasked with shortlisting and selection to identify those candidates demonstrating the highest academic talent.
Successful candidates will be formally notified via email. Regrettably, owing to the volume of applications received, we will only be contacting those who have been successfully selected.
The University will make its best endeavours to input the scholarship details onto each student’s CAS record for visa application purposes by 31 July 2022 (this ‘note’ will be visible for the UKVI but not the student). The scholarship, applied as a discount on tuition fees, will be awarded upon enrolment of the successful candidates in September 2022.
Number of Scholarships
Approximately 40 scholarships would be awarded by the University of Birmingham.
Value of Scholarship
Awards with a value of up to £10,000 GBP will be deducted from the total tuition fees owed by each successful scholar.
The scholarship is expected to cover the entire duration of studies.
This is a competitive scholarship and candidates who fulfil the eligibility requirements outlined above, and who have been issued and accepted an offer of admission to a Master’s degree at Birmingham, are welcome to apply for this scholarship by completing our online scholarship application form which can be accessed using the link below.
Please complete the form accurately and in full as any incomplete applications will not be considered and cannot be amended once submitted. Please only complete the scholarship application form once as any duplicate applications will not be considered and we will only review your first submission. It is important to go through all application requirements on the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.